Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It is lunch time. I've got about fifteen minutes to write this post. I have been so neglectful in keeping this blog up to date! BUT I am super overjoyed that I can now use the wireless at AMINEF. I was online earlier today on AIM with Melis, and it was good to hear from someone at "home," even if he's not even in Texas. Now, Melanie is online, and it is super good to hear from her, too. She and Court were definitely a part of my daily life this summer, and I am going through a sort of withdrawal. I miss our times at Starbucks.
I am slowly acclimating to life in Jakarta. Slowly. Everything is so busy here, so dirty, and so hectic. There is always a chance to buy-- buy, buy, buy, on every corner. It makes for a consumer-driven life that leaves me with a bad taste-- and odour-- in my mouth and on my clothes. And they say that America is consumer-driven.
I have decided that I need a better way to budget my stipend. Although at first glance, it seems small, in Indonesia it should be more than sufficient. I have to account for bills and carpayments back home, however, so mine is cut in half. Yesterday I spent Rp. 650,000 (Approximately $70 USD) on three handcrafted wayang (Javanese shadow puppets made of buffalo skin), and although I don't regret the purchase, I do realize that I need to be more careful. I cannot spend everyday as though it was a holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home