Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Even though I 'blogged' earlier, it is now evening, and I have time to write again. I am fulfilling my promise to be more consistent. I realized today how dependent upon technology I've become. This weekend felt like I was waiting to just to use the internet at AMINEF, and right now, I can't wait until I get to class tomorrow so that I can upload this blog. In addition to that, my expensive laptop computer, even more expensive digital camera, and i-Pod mp3 player have all accompanied me to Indonesia to assistant teach 10th grade English-- in a classroom that almost certainly doesn't have air conditioning or flush toilets. When did this dependence form? And how can I even think of wanting to join the Peace Corps after this Fulbright with such an addiction to technology?
It is amazing, however, the things that technology can do. I have not felt homesick even once yet, because I have been constantly connected to home. Through emails, facebook, cell phone text messages, I have had conversations with people I love and even seen their lovely faces. I am grateful that I have even limited access to this in Jakarta, and I fear the adjustment that awaits me in less technology-riddles Bukittinggi.
I want to talk now about a different kind of adjustment; an adjustment to the new type of high-speed learning which I am being subjected to in my classes. I feared my ability to learn quickly would be problematic before I left the states, and it turns out that if not entirely true, the fear is debilitating my learning process. Today, for example, I felt like I had missed a week of classes because I barely understood anything that was said in Indonesian. It's about time that I didn't get by on my genes and unequal classmates. In this world full of scholars, it seems I will have to work, finally. It seems that on-the-spot just will not work here; and well and good because it is not just my education that will be at stake this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home